Saturday, June 25, 2011

Birthday Gift #1

I love Marimekko fabric. It's funky, bright and a nice weight so I decided to make a reusable grocery bag for my sister. Really, the intent is actually for it to be a farm share bag because it's easy to wash! The bag has french seams, folds up small and is bound with homemade bias tape.

Friday, June 24, 2011


We are members of a CSA and this year the strawberries have done very well! While it is oh, so tempting to eat them all in one sitting, I remind myself that winter comes every year, and it is really nice to break out a jar of strawberry-something in those cold days. We have been getting several quarts each week, so we have been able to eat them, and can them. I now have Strawberry Vanilla Bean Jam, Strawberry Vanilla Bean Syrup, Strawberry Rhubarb Jam, and Strawberry Maple Syrup sitting in my pantry. Shhhh! Don't tell my brother-in-law. I don't want him to come and raid my stash. At least I know what to get him from now until eternity: JAM!

Strawberry Maple Smootch, Mango Vanilla Bean Jam, Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Quick Travel Bags

I had some leftover home dec fabric from Ikea so I made some quick and easy bags just for fun. The nerd in me likes to travel organized!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Vogue 8469 - Redrafted

I really love this easy Vogue pattern and have made it a couple of other times because it fits me perfectly without any major modifications. This time though, I decided to take a crack at redrafting the bodice to give it a little more interest. I lowered the neckline and made the back into a low V. The dress is fully lined with an invisible zipper and most of the dress has princess seams. I had originally started this project with the intent that it would be a prototype but I ended up LOVING it. The fabric is actually part of a huge curtain panel that I picked up from Target for $5. I originally thought it was a little too funky but as the dress progressed, I started to really like how the print looked. It reminds me a little bit of something you'd see at Anthropologie. Anyway, I am so happy about how it turned out especially because I was not expecting to like it so much. It's even my husbands favorite dress so far too! The only thing I would do to change the pattern next time is to add hidden side pockets. I am thinking about making this dress again with a blue seersucker fabric and some vintage, brass Naval buttons that are in my stash. Projects like this make me really glad I learned how to sew!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Does This Even Count?!

My husband called me with a special request: make a librarian/Mr. Rodgers sweater for a Smeagol bobble head doll. Seriously?! The idea is a joke amongst his coworkers and I got volunteered for the job. I had some gray wool felted wool scraps that I used. The seam allowances had to be tiny (1/8") and due to the large hands, I couldn't sew the sleeves until the sweater was on. That was a bit tedious, but turned out way neater that I thought they would. I used small beads for the buttons. This definitely turned out to be the most bizarre sewing project ever.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Modified Cabo Halter

I got some ultra soft jersey fabric recently and wanted to make something easy for summer. I ended up modifying the Amy Butler Cabo Halter pattern. What I did was gather the bust instead of using darts and I sewed down the ties to make straps. I also skipped the zipper because the fabric had enough stretch to not need one. The final product is light and really comfortable and with a few more tweaks, it could become a warm weather staple.