Friday, January 14, 2011

Catastrophe Averted

It seems that every time I make my daughter a cute dress or two, she outgrows them in no time. Which, quite frankly, is not the worst thing in the world. Sewing for a little girl is pretty darn fun! I am currently working on a winter-ish dress for her, and I got it in my head that she just had to have a fur cape to go with it. Now I don't really know my arse from my elbow when it comes to fashion trends, so I thought it was quite funny that I started to see these capes everywhere after I started making this one. The thing is, I have never sewn with fake fur. In fact, I have a prejudice against most fake fur. It usually looks cheesy, and, well....fake. I decided, however, to take the plunge and purchase myself some faux fur. I waffled for a while in the aisle of the fabric store, knowing that it could very well end up a catastrophe. The last thing I want is for my beautiful blond daughter to walk around looking like she stole the hide off a llama! To make the cape, I busted out my old-school compass and a big sheet of scrap paper. I drew up a simple pattern, and went from there. In process

The lining is from the dress that keeps on giving! It closes with a frog closure. The brooch is made from a technique I have seen all over the web lately. I have wanted to try it for some time and finally found the chance! Basically, you cut out circles of synthetic material (like polyester) and singe the edges. Keep water handy because the fabric is pretty flammable. I kept waiting for my husband to come in and ask me what in the world I was doing. :) The button in the center is a vintage button my Grandma found at her awesome second hand shop.

1 comment:

  1. I think that came out wonderful. I don't recall ever having seen fur material like that at my fabric store. The brooch you made is just the icing on the cake. Great job!

    ReplyDelete