It's done!! I took my jolly old time getting it done, but it's DONE!!
I quilted it with my new machine using a stipple stitch and a vine stitch and veriegated green thread. It used a whole lot of thread, but it adds a really nice detail.
The kid is very pleased with it. If he wasn't, I just might have had to keep it for myself.
The bottom is hand-embroidered with 'Be Strong and Courageous' from his favorite verse. When he was beginning school and feeling scared, he asked me to write it down for him to keep in his pocket. :)
P.S. Here's a tip for you that will save a lot of money on a quilt: use a flat sheet for the backing. I had a really nice, soft sheet that my aunt gave me. It was like new and very good quality. I didn't have to piece it together or anything, and if you can find a good price on a sheet it is a lot cheaper than buying yards and yards of fabric.