Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Real Live Coat! McCalls 5525


I've never made a coat for myself. In fact, I've only ever made one coat before this and it met its demise when a certain someone put crayons in the dryer. I must say that making a coat isn't as mystical and scary as it sounds. The pattern calls for 3+ yards of fabric, and I didn't want to spend a lot until I had tried the pattern out. After much hemming and hawing...ha!! get it...hemming?!...I decided to use this raspberry pick corduroy that I got at JoAnns for a whopping $2 a yard. I have been hoarding it for a while, knowing that it would come in handy. I figured (hoped!) that the addition of black piping and buttons would keep it from becoming too obnoxiously pink. The lining is just a black quilting cotton with white polka dots. The buttons are my favorite part. I was originally going to use self-covered buttons with the polka dot fabric. They were cute, but then I saw these buttons. I spent more for the buttons than the fabric! Still, the coat cost just 20 bucks to make. The pattern went together nicely and I even figured out the lining technique they used. The only thing I would do differently if I make it again would be to enlarge the pockets and move them up a little.

1 comment:

  1. The coat looks awesome! The buttons are perfect and I love the piping :)