Saturday, December 17, 2011

Party Dress Butterick 5603

This dress was made using a vintage repro pattern (Butterick 5603). I made option B but left the ties off. The fabric is a polyester shantung from JoAnns. This dress is very fitted and I wish I had made a size up. I think from now on that is what I am going to do. Its easier to take things in anyway. The one issue I had with the pattern was that the front of the straps kind of gape a little. I think that if I had added the ties, that would have made the difference. Also, the neck line is low. I added some conveniently placed fabric flowers to cover things up a little, and I am happy with how it turned out. To make the flowers, I cut strips of fabric in various lengths and widths. I folded them in half lengthwise, wrong sides together, and ran a gathering stitch down the raw edge. I gathered the strip and then formed the flower. I tacked them down on interfacing and then cut away as much as I could. That gave them a nice sturdy backing, and allowed me lay arrange them on the dress to see if I liked them before sewing them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment