Monday, July 22, 2013

Simplicity 2907 Boys Shirt

 A few months ago I stumbled upon this awesome twill robot fabric at Joanns. It is such a nice weight and the print is really fun. I bought it thinking that would make my youngest some overall shorts out of it. But apparently, people don't sew for boys and it was nigh on to impossible to find a decent overall pattern. I made this shirt instead and it will get longer use anyhow. I made it pretty much exactly as directed (shock!!) and I am happy to say that this was my best attempt so far at a collar.

A while back I saw a dress with mis-matched buttons and I have been wanting to do that ever since. I figured this was a good project to try it out! The fabric has a lot going on and I wasn't sure if it would be over the top. And it is. But so is the kid wearing it so I am OK with that. :)

I appliqued a wool felt robot peeking out of the pocket. It's hard to tell, but he has free-moving rick rack arms. Yes! I can even work rick rack into a project for boys. Thus is the depth of my skillz sickness. My only beef with this pattern is that the sleeves seem a little bit full to me and I am either going to a) press the heck out of them to get them to lay flat (as opposed to slightly poofy) or b) rip 'em out and trim them down a little. Other than that, it is a nice pattern to work with.

And the recipient is very happy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment