Friday, September 27, 2013

Foodie Friday: Pumpkin Apple Pancakes


I have a weird thing about pancakes. I love them due to a childhood of eating homemade sour dough pancakes and because my dad lovingly made me almond flavored oat flour pancakes with rice syrup or jam every morning before school during a particularly persnickety eating phase during high school.  After years of fostering an irrational fear of making them myself, I decided to confront this breakfast food and was pleasantly surprised by the result. These are filling and taste deliciously like fall.

Next time, I’d like to try them with a sweeter apple and maybe white whole wheat, whole wheat, oat, almond or spelt flour.    

Sunset Magazine – November 2012
Pumpkin Apple Pancakes

1 large egg

1 c each flour and milk (I used organic)

2 TBS vege oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)

½ c pumpkin puree

1 TBS each sugar (I used organic cane) and baking powder

¼ tsp each salt, nutmeg and cinnamon

1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped (I used a Granny Smith)

About 2 TBS butter, divided (I used ghee for the first batch and then skipped it for cooking spray – I don’t use nonstick cookware EVER)

Syrup (I used maple)

Mix all ingredients except butter and syrup together. Melt the butter (if using) or spray pan with cooking spray spooning 1/3 c portions into pan (making 3-4 at a time). Cook, turning once until cooked through. Continue with remaining batter and serve warm with butter, syrup, jam, peanut butter or whatever you like to top your pancakes with!

No comments:

Post a Comment