Friday, August 30, 2013

Foodie Friday: Pizza Night!

 
Friday is pizza night and we take it seriously. I'm not going to claim this is the healthiest meal but when you make it at home you at least have the opportunity to control the quality AND quantity of your ingredients. I've been using a particular crust recipe for several years now that puts out a consistent and deliciously crispy crust (Jamie Oliver's pizza dough) but I found a recipe in my pile that I decided to try just to change things up.  
 
I'm a huge Bobby Flay fan and have made quite a few of his recipes ranging from salsa verde to grilled lobster tacos to a very robust sangria and I've never been disappointed with the effort. I found his pizza dough recipe a couple of years ago and it got lost in the abyss of stashed recipes. I dug it out on a whim and made pizza (on a Wednesday!) just in time to carbo-load for a long run.
 
The recipe is a really simple, everyday kind of crust. You aren't going to get brick oven (despite cranking the oven up and using a pizza stone), East Coast kind of pizza but it does the trick in a pinch. Here's where I found the original recipe and here it is again adapted slightly with my notes:
 
Pizza Dough by Bobby Flay
 
Ingredients:
3 1/2 - 4 cups flour (I used all purpose because I had it which made the crust soft and chewy - use bread flour if you want a nice crispy crust)
1 tsp sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
1 envelope instant yeast (2 1/4 tsp or 7g = 1 packet)
2 tsp kosher salt (I used a large grain sea salt)
1 1/2 cups water @ 110 degrees F
2 TBS olive oil, plus 2 tsp (I skipped the 2 tsp and used cooking spray instead)
 
Combine all the dry ingredients in a stand mixer first. Then, while it's running add the water and 2 TBS olive oil and mix until the ingredients form a ball adding flour a little at a time if the dough is too sticky. Remove to a lightly floured surface and knead into a smooth, firm ball. Let rest covered for an hour or so until doubled in size. Then, remove to a lightly floured surface and divide into two pieces. Let rest covered for 10 minutes before rolling out.

I always use a pizza stone and bake it in at least a 450 degree oven (part of the cooking time includes baking just the crust pre-toppings). This particular pizza was topped with a sugar-free sauce, pepperoni, black olives, artichoke hearts, mozzarella, parmesan, romano and asiago cheese.
 

1 comment:

  1. You made me LO (really) L with your use of the phrase 'very robust'. I think I shall try this recipe since tonight is pizza night. Woo!

    ReplyDelete