Monday, November 10, 2014

Quick and Easy Chair Makeover


Years ago, I found this wonderful chair at a yard sale. Apparently the seller didn't find it to be nearly as wonderful as I did, and she sold it to me for two bucks. I have loved it ever since. It is sturdy, but old and chippy and a delightfully weird shade of green.

I figure the chair is fairly old, as the seat is covered in real leather, and the seat base is wood and not some funky particle board. And while I loved the chair, I think we can all admit the seat could use a little fancy-ing up. Fast forward to last month. I was on my way to my favorite annual yard sale when I saw a sign. It might as well have had a light shining down from heaven on it, because it read "FABRIC SALE". Here is where I flipped a U-turn and made a detour straight to the fabric sale. My kids were less excited than I. Much less excited in fact. The lady was selling big lengths of home decor fabric for ridiculously cheap prices. One piece I bought was a silk blend, which she told me was over $100 a yard, and I bought 1 1/2 yards for $2. Woot! I also picked up a funky hexagon-type fabric which I later realized was a perfect match to the funky green chair. Que the angels singing.

Recovering the chair was very simple. I removed the cushion, cut fabric a few inches larger, and stapled it under. If you don't have a staple gun, you should get one. You will feel like the world is your oyster when you use it. At the very least, you can give your chairs new life in no time flat!
 And now she lives on! A little more funky, a little more fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment