Friday, September 13, 2013

Foodie Friday: Turkey Burgers

 
I'm clearly not a food photographer but take my word for it...these turkey burgers were ridiculous. It took all of our self control to not eat two in a row. If you're not into citrus on meat or in general these aren't for you but for the goat cheese and Meyer lemon luvin' people out there you should probably make these today!
 
Once again, I've deferred to a Bobby Flay recipe. This guy has seriously never steered me wrong in the flavor department. Anyway, here is the link to the original recipe and added below with my comments.
 
Turkey Burgers by Bobby Flay
 
Meyer Lemon-Honey Mustard:
1/4 c Dijon mustard
1 TBS clover honey
1 TBS fresh orange juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp fresh Meyer lemon juice ***
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
 
Burgers:
1 1/2 lbs 90% lean, ground turkey (not all white meat)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 slices goat cheese, 1/2 thick (I used a crumbly goat cheese)
4 sesame seed hamburger buns lightly grilled (I used fresh baked potato buns, toasted not grilled) 
Watercress, for serving (I used organic spinach)
 
***If you can't find Meyer lemons mix 1/2 tsp fresh orange juice and 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice (this is what I had to do)

For the Mustard: Whisk the ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to meld.

For the burgers: My grill is in balcony purgatory for at least a year (I live in an apartment right now and can't use my beloved Weber). SO, if you want to see the grilling instructions check out the original link. I had to improvise and pan cook my burgers which turned out fine but obviously didn't have quite the same flavor as grilling. Either method, season your patties with salt and fresh cracked pepper and once they're done throw the cheese on top to melt a little. Then, put the burgers on the buns, drizzle with mustard and top with your greens.

You'll probably want to use some of the extra mustard too! :)
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment