Saturday, October 19, 2013

Foodie Friday (A Day Late): Red Chili with Adobo & Chipotle

I created this recipe when my husband was in grad school. One night I was feeling particularly lazy and only had a few things on hand that led to this combination.
 
Rachel's Red Chili
 
 1 29 oz can black beans (I use organic with no salt added)
1 29 oz kidney beans (I use organic with no salt added)
1 - 1 1/2 lbs turkey burger
2-3 minced garlic cloves
1 small red or white onion diced small
olive oil
1/2 - 1 bottle beer (I like to use Guiness or a Porter style)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (I use organic)
1 TBS tomato paste (I use organic)
2-3 diced chiles (or whatever heat you can handle) in adobo sauce + extra adobo sauce
 
Brown the meat in olive oil. Add onions, garlic and chile to meat and cook until softened. Then add the tomato paste and cook slightly until it starts to darken in color. Add beans (in their liquid OR rinse them and add beef, veg or chicken stock instead) and tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a simmer then add the beer. Cook for another 15-20 minutes to let the flavors meld and serve with biscuits, corn bread or crackers.
 
**Note: Sometimes I add Mexican oregano to change up the flavor a little.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment