Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Back In Ye Olden Days

A long time ago, when I was a sophisticated 13 year old (ha, ha! does such a thing exist?) I started quilting. Looking back, I tore into it with a lot of gusto and exactly zero experience. This was also before the days of Google. Thus, information was not at my fingertips. I started off with a square of scrap paper, a few pins and all of Mom's fabric scraps. I cut each square out by hand, with scissors. The problem was that every so often I would shave off a sliver of the template and eventually the square would become so small that would deem it a lost cause and cut a new one. Also, being the math whiz that I am, I calculated the size I would need to cover my twin bed. I was apparently a bit over-ambitious because it came out sized for a king. Literally. Whatever. It was my first quilt. It lasted for 20 years (hypothetically because I was just 13 like last week) and I just recently put it to rest. One of my next quilts was even more ambitious, but this time my parents got me a rotary cutter and I was totally high tech! I chose the log cabin pattern and went to work. When I was finished, on a whim, I decided to send a picture of it to Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. Much later, and much to my surprise (!!) they published a picture of me with my quilt! I am pretty convinced that I made it into this well-circulated magazine not so much on my creative merit but more so because look! Its a quilter under the age of 50! We must encourage this! (This was back before DIY was the 'it' thing)


Anyhow, I ran across my copy of the (in)famous magazine and thought I would share it with you all.


I wrote a cheesy letter about how I was a freshly graduated whippersnapper who was teaching herself how to quilt. Apparently it worked. 


And there you have it! My 15 minutes of fame.

1 comment: