Thursday, April 24, 2014

Easter Dress: Quilt Inspired

 Every Easter I get a little giddy at the prospect of making a dress for my daughter. It's not that I do something fancy every year, but sewing for her is just fun! I have had the concept of this dress in my head for a while.

I love this style of quilt block, called a Dresden Plate, and I thought it would make a nice skirt. I also had these 30's prints to make a quilt for my girl and I figured it would be OK to 'borrow' a bit for this dress.


The skirt is roughly a half circle. I realized my math skills haven't improved much since high school, but I somehow calculated everything and it worked!


The skirt is fully lined, which looks pretty and makes sewing the scallops a bit easier. Each one still had to be clipped and carefully pressed, but it was manageable.


The bodice is sort of a highly evolved pattern I keep tracing off. This time I enlarged the heart opening in the back, and gave it a sweet heart neckline. I also widened it a bit since this girl is growing!


To finish it off, I added a fabric flower. Not sure if I'm sold on it yet, but twas the night before Easter and I ran out of inspiration. If I decide I can't live with it the way it is, I can always change it.


I really like the larger heart on this one. I keep tweaking it every time I make it.


Here's an up-close of  the flower.


This dress was definitely one of the more time consuming dresses I have made, but it was worth it! I have several ideas for more!

P.S. You will get 100 bonus points, redeemable for a big cyber high-five, if you noticed what I didn't add to this dress....so out of character for me!

4 comments:

  1. Ha...it's Ric-Rac! She looks so cute in that dress, like a little hippie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ding! Ding! Ding! You are correct!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That dress adorable!! I feel like the shape of the scallops could have given you some sort of pseudo ric rac fix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jill! You have an interesting theory. Maybe that's why I didn't feel the need to add any rick rack. :)

    ReplyDelete