I love this style of quilt block, called a Dresden Plate, and I thought it would make a nice skirt. I also had these 30's prints to make a quilt for my girl and I figured it would be OK to 'borrow' a bit for this dress.
The skirt is roughly a half circle. I realized my math skills haven't improved much since high school, but I somehow calculated everything and it worked!
The skirt is fully lined, which looks pretty and makes sewing the scallops a bit easier. Each one still had to be clipped and carefully pressed, but it was manageable.
The bodice is sort of a highly evolved pattern I keep tracing off. This time I enlarged the heart opening in the back, and gave it a sweet heart neckline. I also widened it a bit since this girl is growing!
To finish it off, I added a fabric flower. Not sure if I'm sold on it yet, but twas the night before Easter and I ran out of inspiration. If I decide I can't live with it the way it is, I can always change it.
I really like the larger heart on this one. I keep tweaking it every time I make it.
Here's an up-close of the flower.
P.S. You will get 100 bonus points, redeemable for a big cyber high-five, if you noticed what I didn't add to this dress....so out of character for me!