Way back in October I posted about attempting a hand picked zipper for this dress (original post here). The sad part is that I finished this project in August or September and never got around to writing about it. Oops! So to remedy that, I put on my boots this morning and finally took some pictures.
The dress itself is pretty straight forward to sew. It had some finicky details that if unlike me, you use sturdy fabric, won't actually be a problem (e.g. the notched detail along the front and back neckline and the inset side zipper). In my case, I used a light weight quilting cotton and had to reinforce the neckline details and waist to keep things from falling apart.
Here is the invisible side zip instead of an inset lapped zip.
Bust darts on the bodice.
Be warned: this dress takes 8 yards of fabric if you fully line it. That also means hemming 2 almost full circle skirts for what will feel like days.
Here is the neckline detail. I'm not happy with how it flops over all the time but it's my fault for picking a thin fabric and not thinking through how that would impact the final structure. Another lesson learned.
Despite the little quirks that this dress has, I do love it!
This dress is so girlie and twirls like a dream (although, I'm getting to old for spinning apparently. I spun a couple of times for this picture and almost fell over…lol). When I wear it I feel like I should be doing the Texas two step or line dancing with my fella.
I never know where to look for these types of shots. I always end up looking kind of silly. Oh well, you get the idea.
This is definitely the fullest skirt I've ever had. It's so fun to wear and someday it would be fun to get a crinoline to push it over the edge!
I think I would make this again but I wouldn't add the neckline details OR line the skirt. That would save me a lot of time and potential aggravation :)