Thursday, May 22, 2014

Mosaic Barn Window


A few years ago, I spied this window on Pinterest. The link was just a picture in someone's flicker pool, but I knew I wanted to make it. Well, it sat there on my Pinterest board for a long time. About a year ago, I started it. The window was one I picked out of the trash a very looooong time ago, before I even had kids. It came out of a carriage house (so I was told) in an historic town near us. I am not sure how old it is.



The process itself wasn't hard, just tedious. I will admit I had (and still have) no idea what I am doing when it comes to this. I just went with it. I used Weldbond glue to glue all the stuff to the window. The square tiles are Van Gogh tiles I bought off of Ebay. I also used craft store glass stones, and some odds and ends from significant places. This particular pane has a piece of a decorative knob I saved from our old house.


This pane has a metal oak leaf I got from a scrap yard in Colorado when I was in college. What in the world was I doing at a scrap yard???


I also used beach glass and pottery shards I found on Glass Beach in Fort Bragg, California back in the days of yore. I figured I might as well put to use those nifty little pieces I had been keeping.


You can see from these two pictures the difference the light makes. I have debated whether to hang it on my wall, or in a window. I am leaning toward the window, because wouldn't it be cheery to see in the mornings? If so, it will hang right under my giant spoon. It's like a double dose of happiness.


The only trouble I had with this project (besides it taking me forever) was grouting. I think that I probably broke a few rules and grouting a surface with multiple levels was tricky. By the third pane I got the hang of it. Phew! I am so glad it is finally finished and I can hang this puppy up. My house is getting funkier and funkier with all the art I have up. I'm gonna have to ask Santa for more wall space this year...ha, ha!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the patience for all those little pieces, but it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ladies! Caitlin, I think that is why it took me so long, I had to keep coming back to it.

    ReplyDelete