Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Thrift Store Find! Vintage Sheath Dress


 A few weeks ago I stumbled upon this dress at the thrift store. I fell in love with it upon first sight, but I was sure it would either not fit, or be more than I wanted to spend. My experience with thrift store vintage is that it is easy to find splendiferous 80's and 90's stuff, replete with shoulder pads and synthetic lace and plastic pearls at overpriced 'vintage prices'. I for one hold to the school of thought that the 80's should not be relived, and the 90's aren't much better. :) I am not good at dating fabric yet, but I am guessing 60's? 50's? Any guesses? The background is hard to see from the pictures, but it is silver velvet and the flowers are sort of satiny. The dress is handmade with a handpicked zipper and full lining. I tried it on, and it was too big. But! Too big is a much easier fix than too small. I mean, you can only squeeze so much into a dress before you start to look like an overstuffed sausage. And the best part....drum roll please....it cost me $3.50!! Now to decide whether I want to keep it long or cut it off at the knees. What do you think?


1 comment:

  1. My vote is cut it to the knees then wear some cute wedges with it :)

    ReplyDelete