Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Backpack


It all began when I saw a picture of an owl lunch box. I liked it, but I decided I could make one myself. I found a great (free) pattern here for a toddler backpack, and turned something simple into something more complicated. I added a flannel lining, piping and two layers of interfacing for stability. I added the owl's features to the front panels before I began sewing it together. Did you notice I managed to work in some rick-rack? I know what you are thinking....step away from the rick-rack please! I like this pattern because a) it is simple to construct, it takes little fabric, and c) instead of using a zipper which can be hard for a toddler to open, it has a front opening that closes with velcro. This project was made completely with stuff I had on hand: the denim was from old jeans, the lining flannel, felt and rick-rack scraps were in my stash and the interfacing was from a huge hunk we found at a yard sale last summer.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this! I followed your photo link from the backpack site. I was thinking of making one for my daughter, but now(!!!) the wheels are turning and I'm planning gifts for a friend, 2 cousins, and a nephew!

    I was going to buy some fabric, but I have some old jeans I can repurpose instead -- Woohoo!


    THANK YOU! :) - Lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, I am looking at links from the original tutorial page and this one is just too too cute! Something to strive for once I try the basic version!

    ReplyDelete